Thursday, October 12, 2006

Everybody Wants to go to Heaven...

I've just finished reading a book by David Crowder and John Hogan (David Crowder Band) called "Everybody Wants to go to Heaven, but Nobody Wants to Die". I don't exactly know what to say about it. It was perhaps the unusual book I have ever read. But it was also gripping, funny, tragic and thought-provoking.

David & Hogan wrote the book while in the midst of profound grief following the death of their close friend Kyle Lake. Kyle was the pastor of the church (University Baptist) in Waco, Texas where David is the worship leader. You probably heard about his death, he was the pastor that was electrocuted while doing a baptism.

This book opened many wounds of my own that I thought had closed long ago. Namely those coming from the death of my father 11 years ago. About halfway through reading it I became angry at David and Hogan for forcing me to feel the deep ache of loss and grief again. But, by the end of the book they helped me to realize that I must fully feel and embrace the sorrow brought about by the people I have lost in my life in order to be able to fully feel and embrace the hope and joy that we are promised as Christians.


Intrigued?
www.everybodywantstogotoheaven.com

No comments: