Here are a few of their suggestions:
- Keep your thermostat set at 78 degrees
- Change your air conditioner's filter every month. Use a decent filter (3M brand is good). A good way to remember to change the filter regularly is to do it each month right after you pay your electric bill
- Invest in a programmable, digital thermostat
- Make sure you have adequate insulation in your attic and weather stripping around doors and windows
- The new Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are not only more energy efficient, but they also put off less heat
- Keep window blinds and shades closed during the day to help prevent the sun from warming up your house
- Having your AC ducts professionally cleaned every 3-5 years will not only help remove allergens and other particles from your home, but it can also help your AC operate more efficiently because the fan will be cleaned as well.
- Ventilation to remove heat from your attic is a great way to prevent excess heat from building up in your attic, which can your a/c to work harder and can also cause your roof tiles to wear out faster.