Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Angel Food Network

What if I told you that you could cut your grocery bill in half (easily) without sacrificing quality or variety? Well, you absolutely CAN by taking advantage of a national program called the Angel Food Ministries. Too good to be true? No way.

Keep in mind there are no income qualifications to participate. The program is open to everyone. There are churches that serve as host sites all over the Triad. The church in Kernersville that serves as a host site is Faith Christian Center Fellowship. Here is a description of the program from the Angel Food Website:

Angel Food Ministries is a non-profit, non-denominational organization dedicated to providing grocery relief and financial support to communities throughout the United States. The program began in 1994 with 34 families in Monroe, Georgia (between Atlanta and Athens), and has grown to serve hundreds of thousands of families every month across 35 states. Angel Food Ministries crosses denominational lines and has spread the good news of the gospel of Christ through salvation tracts that are placed in each food order.

Blessings by the box

Angel Food is available in a quantity that can fit into a medium-sized box at $30 per unit. Each month's menu is different than the previous month and consists of both fresh and frozen items with an average retail value of approximately $60. Comparison shopping has been done across the country in various communities using a wide range of retail grocery stores and has resulted in the same food items costing from between $42 and $78.

Generally, one unit of food assists in feeding a family of four for about one week or a single senior citizen for almost a month. The food is all the same high quality one could purchase at a grocery store. There are no second-hand items, no damaged or out-dated goods, no dented cans without labels, no day-old breads and no produce that is almost too ripe.

Also offered are specialty boxes such as steaks, chicken and pork. Many participants in this bonus program appreciate the expanded choices. Additionally, there is no limit to the number of units or bonus foods an individual can receive, and there are no applications to complete or qualifications to which participants must adhere. Angel Food Ministries also participates in the U.S. Food Stamp program, using the Off-Line Food Stamp Voucher system.

It's both a Bargain and a Blessing!
Sample Menu:(this month's menu can be viewed here)
4 lb. IQF Leg Quarters
4 oz. Beef Back Ribs
1 lb. 80/20 Lean Ground Beef
2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders
1.5 lb. Bone in Pork Chops (4 x 6oz.)
1 lb. Ground Turkey
18 oz. Stuffed Manicotti (Cheese)
12 oz. Smoked Sausage
Betty Crocker Seasoned Potatoes
7 oz. Cheeseburger Dinner
16 oz. Green Beans
16 oz. Baby Carrots
2 lb. Onions
1 lb. Pinto Beans
1 lb. Rice
7 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix
10 ct. Homestyle Waffles
Dessert Item

My family participated this month for the first time. I spent $100 and figure I got enough food to feed my family dinner for at least 3 weeks, plus a few breakfasts. The only items I think I'll need to buy at the store for the remainder of the month are paper products, milk, bread, cereal, produce, pet products, and lunch box food. I am estimating that I will have to spend an additional $200 on groceries for the month. That would make my total grocery bill for the month $300. Usually I spend $450-$500 per month on groceries so this is a huge savings.

The pictures below depict what I got for $100. I got 2 of the regular food boxes and 2 of the family grill specialty boxes...






























This is what my freezer looks like now!!


2 comments:

Tami said...

Here's an email I got from Susan about the Angel Food Network...she makes some great points:

"Tami - I heard you talking about Angel Food on my way to work today. I don't know if you mentioned on the program that this is being a good steward with your money. Some people think this is only for people who are having financial difficulties. One girl in my office said she didn't do it because she didn't want to take away from someone who really needed it. I think some people misunderstand the program. I thought this was similar to a food coop--the more people who participate, the better products they will be able to offer at that price. Anyway, I have bought from them ever since my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and could not work. It is a wonderful program. I was so delighted you announced it on the radio because it had been around almost 2 years in Winston, and I had never heard of it.

Thank you."

Anonymous said...

tami...i really think this is going to change my family...i have been struggling with trying to keep up with our grocery bill since my husband lost his job and with 3 small kids to feed it is hard saying no when they want more to eat b/c you are afraid you will run out of food before the month is up. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for mentioning this on the morning show....God definitely spoke to me through you this morning and said i'm always there and will take care of you.